The NYSTCE Social Studies test measures your knowledge according to the New York State Academic Standards. Success on this test indicates that you are qualified to teach social studies in the New York State public school system. The test content is drawn from these subareas:
United States History (14%)
Global History (14%)
Civics, Citizenship, and Government (13%)
Social Studies Literacy (15%)
Pedagogical Content Knowledge (20%)
The test consists of 90 multiple-choice questions and one constructed-response question.
NYSTCE Social Studies Practice Questions
1. Which of the following was a result of the Northwest Ordinance of 1787?
A: Native Americans were given citizenship.
B: Territories could eventually be admitted as states.
C: Meriwether Lewis became the first governor of Oregon.
D: The Northwest Territory was acquired from Great Britain.
2. Which economist is most closely associated with the policies of the New Deal?
A: John Maynard Keynes
B: Alfred Hayek
C: Karl Marx
D: Milton Friedman
3. Which of the following resources is rich in the Mesabi Range?
4. Which of the following research approaches is most commonly used in anthropology?
A: Content analysis
B: Case study
C: Participant observation
D: Historical regression
5. Which of the following bodies of water is completely land locked?
A: North Sea
B: Black Sea
C: Caspian Sea
D: Gulf of Mexico
1. B. This law created a structure for new states to form and acquire membership in the union.
2. A. Deficit spending by the federal government is the most widely known aspect of the New Deal. The decision to use deficit spending was influenced by the work of John Maynard Keynes.
3. D. The Mesabi Range, which is located in northeast Minnesota, contains a large amount of iron.
4. C. Anthropologists usually have to participate in order to fully understand a subject.
5. C. The Caspian Sea is fed by the Volga River, and lies between Europe and Asia.