NYSTCE Educating All Students

All prospective teachers are required to take the NYSTCE Educating All Students Test (test code 201) as part of the initial teacher certification process. The New York State Teacher Certification Examinations (NYSTCE) were developed by the New York State Board of Education to ensure that all teachers have the knowledge and ability to effectively teach all students in the state of New York.

The Educating All Students (EAS) Test is a computer-based test with 42 selected-response questions and 3 constructed-response questions. The selected-response questions account for 70% of the total test score. The constructed-response questions provide the remaining 30% of the total test score. A total score of 520 is required to pass the examination. You will have 2 hours and 15 minutes to complete the test. The test measures five areas of competency: Diverse Student Populations, English Language Learners, Students with Disabilities and Other Special Learning Needs, Teacher Responsibilities, and School-Home Relationships.

The Diverse Student Populations competency ensures that the educator understands appropriate strategies to get acquainted with each student’s background, interests, gifts, and needs and to use that information to enhance interactions among students, encourage respect for all students, provide optimal student achievement, and create a feeling of community among the students. There are eleven selected-response questions and one constructed-response question in this area.

The English Language Learners competency subarea assesses the educator’s knowledge of effective approaches to foster the educational development of the English Language Learner including their legal rights, ethical considerations relating to their education, and collaboration with students families and various support networks available within the education system and community. There are eleven selected-response questions and one constructed-response question in this area.

The third competency, Students with Disabilities and Other Special Learning Needs, measures the educators understanding of the strengths, needs, and features of students with disabilities and other special learning needs and their ability to appropriately use this knowledge to assist students in reaching their ultimate levels of independence and achievement. There are ten selected-response questions and one constructed-response question in this area.

The fourth competency, Teacher Responsibilities, ensures that the educator understands the rights and responsibilities of teachers, students, parents/guardians, colleagues, school administrators, school personnel, and community members in various situations. There are five selected-response questions in this area.

The last competency is School-Home Relationships. The questions in this content area include strategies for effective communication between the teacher and parents, identifying factors that could improve or impede communication with parents, encouraging participation of parents/guardians to enhance learning, and making accommodations for interpreters and translators, when necessary. There are five selected-response questions in this area.

The NYSTCE Educating All Students practice test developed by Mometrix covers the same content as the actual test and includes answers and detailed explanations of those answers so that you can clearly understand which questions you missed and why you missed them. Your best plan of preparation for this exam begins with Mometrix!