The NYSTCE Business and Marketing test measures your knowledge according to the New York State Academic Standards. Success on this test indicates that you are qualified to teach business and marketing in the New York State public school system. The test content is drawn from these subareas:
Business Management, Entrepreneurship, and Ownership (10%)
Business Law, Ethics, and Social Responsibility (10%)
Financial Management, Accounting, and Business and Marketing Mathematics (10%)
Business and Marketing Information Technology (10%)
Business and Marketing Communication (10%)
Economics and Personal Finance (10%)
Marketing and International Business (10%)
Business and Marketing Career and Professional Development (10%)
Pedagogical Content Knowledge (20%)
The test consists of approximately 90 multiple-choice questions and one constructed-response question.
NYSTCE Business and Marketing Practice Questions
1. What is the main purpose of a trial balance?
A: To predict future profits
B: To suggest areas of overspending
C: To inform potential investors
D: To ensure total debits equal total credits
2. Which type of business combines limited liability with single taxation of business income, but is allowed a maximum of one hundred stockholders?
A: Limited Liability Company
B: S corporation
C: Limited Liability Partnership
D: Sole proprietorship
3. When is the most appropriate time to test market a product?
A: Before it is available for sale
B: Before it reaches the peak of its popularity
C: When customer complaints reach a high level
D: When there is excess supply
4. If a warehouse uses the FIFO style of inventory management, what can an individual assume about the products that are still in the warehouse at the end of the year?
A: They were unpopular.
B: They were the last to be purchased.
C: They were popular.
D: They were the first to be purchased.
5. What is the first step in composing a resume?
A: Selecting a template
B: Contacting references
C: Making a list of achievements and previous jobs
D: Determining a desired salary
1. D. A trial balance should include all of the open credit and debit items in the ledger.
2. B. An S corporation avoids double taxation of dividends and is able to send income directly to shareholders.
3. A. Test marketing is typically performed to determine whether there is a large enough market for a proposed product or not.
4. B. FIFO stands for “first in first out”, which means that products leave the warehouse in the same order in which they enter.
5. C. A job-seeker must determine which information should be featured on his or her resume before he or she can select the appropriate resume style.